This programme is an exciting opportunity for recent master’s graduates with an interest in the Development and Humanitarian context to gain experience in an internationally recognised organisation with a proven track record in making impactful change for the people we work with in the developing world.
This is a 30-month programme that offers graduates the opportunity to start their career in one of Ireland’s largest INGOs with one of three placements:
The programme is now closed but featured three placements.
- Sierra Leone (30 months);
- Ethiopia (12 months) & Uganda (18 months); and
- Head Office in Maynooth (30 months).
- Induction will be held in Maynooth.
Sally O’Neill was described by Michael D. Higgins, President of Ireland, as “the greatest gift that Ireland gave to the Latin world in contemporary times”. She was courageous and inspirational and blazed a trail as a female leader in the field of development and humanitarianism over four decades.
The successful candidates will gain a deep understanding of delivering programming through a Partner Centric Approach with local communities to meet their needs, which is at the heart of what Trócaire does in delivering our strategic plan.
Our Programme Focus is grouped into three areas:
- Resource Rights: ensuring that those in need have access to, control over and the ability to effectively protect and use critical resources, in particular land and water.
- Women’s Empowerment: ensuring that women have a voice in decisions that affect their lives, within their homes, communities, and beyond, and that they are free from violence.
- Humanitarian Preparedness and Response: ensuring communities are prepared for, can respond effectively to and withstand crises.
In addition, Trócaire will provide access to opportunities to develop the skills and knowledge to deliver the programmes through an understanding and experience of:
- Programme Development and Management
- Programme Quality & Learning
- Financial and Administration Management
- Partner Relationships and Support
- Risk management & Security
- Policy, Advocacy and Communications
- Institutional Funding
- Head Office Support
All framed within a supportive environment, with real learning opportunities and a commitment to supporting personal development.
The programme is dedicated to Sally because of the support she offered to many people, especially young women, to enable them to grow into effective leaders in Trócaire and in our partner organisations. Sally lived Trócaire’s social justice approach with every breath, demonstrating in practice what it means to have a vision for change that is based on the fulfilment of human rights. Sally worked in Trócaire from 1978 until 2015. Sally died in a tragic accident on 7th April 2019, while still working for human rights in Central America. Read more on Sally here.
Trócaire envisages a just & peaceful world where people’s dignity is ensured & rights are respected; where basic needs are met & resources are shared equitably; where people have control over their own lives & those in power act for the common good.
Guide to Sally O’Neill: Future Leaders Programme.