“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world”. Nelson Mandela
In Trócaire, we believe global justice is a lifelong journey. That journey starts at a young age when children begin to learn about the world they live in and the role they can play in creating a future of dignity and safety for all. Our Schools Programme gives young people in Ireland an introduction to global justice issues through talks, presentations and workshops. Our development education work encourages the learner to challenge perceptions of stereotypes and encourages compassion and empathy. It is a powerful learning tool because it triggers thoughts and knowledge in the head, which move the heart, which in turn empowers the hands to take action for a just and fair world.
Examples of School volunteering:
- Visiting schools to speak with students about our work during the annual Lenten Campaign (January to May).
- Supporting our teams with away days for students and teachers at cluster school or workshop events.
- Participating in cheque presentations or collections and standing in a photograph for local media publicity.
- Sharing our educational resources with teachers and educators, you may know.
- Being an advocate for the importance of development education in classrooms in Ireland.
Benefits of School volunteering:
- Assist us with bringing global justice issues alive in the classroom.
- Improving your communication and organisational skills.
- Gaining a better understanding of the education systems in Ireland/Northern Ireland as they pertain to development education.
*School volunteering is suitable for applicants who have a qualification or experience in teaching or group facilitation. Full training and guidance will be provided in advance of any school visit.
Visit our Education Page